advanced shuttle technologies - notes
The requirements for shuttling to and from a planet's atmosphere and
surface, must be met from the resources available to the
GNSC Grand Nuclear Space Cruiser.
And must satisfy the needs of its 3500 personnel.
A typical shuttle-launch team or crew or passenger list may count
upwards of ten persons, including two shuttle commanders.
Each GNSCruiser shall have three Shuttles capable of
The general purpose planet shuttle may be used in the vicinity of
planets, moons, asteroids, near/far from direct sunlight.
- atmospheric entry and exit on Earth/Venus/Mars-like planets
- atmospheric cruising 10,000 hours on Earth/Venus/Mars-like planets
- acceleration to orbit velocity above moons and Earth-like planets
- freight-tugging, asteroid-tugging
- sustaining a crew of seven for a month of food, a year of air
- emergency space-rescues for  passenger-occupants
- conveying reactor-drive fission-fuels
- exercising minimal nuclear-authority plutonium 'weapons'
- docking with space university research laboratory stations
- full digital data and communications uplink and downlink
Additional design implementations shall include:
A premise discovery under the title,
© 1996,[2006,2013] GrandAdmiralPetry@Lanthus.net
- 'sun-out' windows -
by 50% random-spot-blacking the outer layer of a window/port,
and photochromic-blacking the inner layer,
the direct sun-beams may be blocked while retaining 25%
of all other optical light.
- nuclear-powered: enclosed -
to minimize fall-out, and maximize efficiency -
- clean nuclear fuels, Beta-type:
Ca-48 0.19%rel (2 β- 89 keV/n), Zr-96 2.8%rel (2 β- 35 keV/n),
Ni-58 68%rel (2 EC 33 keV/n), Be-10 reactor-made (β- 56 keV/n).
- boron-carbide 'BC' for minimum weight,
[nonavalanching 'metal' conductivity], [rebonding],
- super-Wien radiant outer surfaces for cool hypersonic operation: heat drives the
coating or glass-embedded electrochemistry to emit light rather than Wien radiant
blackbody heat, thus cooling the surface more quickly. Electrochemistry allows for
the absorption of IR "photons" climbing electron orbitals until a photon is emitted;
the electrons need never reach ionization---the hot surface appears white but cool.